After graduating in performance and composition from the Coventry School of Music in the U K, Geoff kicked off his professional career playing sax for Geno Washington and the Ram Jam Band. Shortly after, Geoff became a founding member of EMI recording artists Dexy’s Midnight Runners. During this time he was responsible for the horn arrangements that gave Dexy’s their signature sound. Their debut album Searching for the Young Soul Rebels became a hit, spawning 3 UK top 20 singles including the No. 1 Geno. The album was re-released for the third time in 2010, still to rave reviews.
After parting with Dexys, Geoff went on to form The Bureau. With hits in Australia and Canada, they toured the UK and USA with The Pretenders. The Bureau’s self titled album was remastered and re-released by WEA in 2005.
In 1984, Geoff became a member of the TKO Horns, touring and recording Punch the Clock with Elvis Costello and the Attractions. Other TKO recording sessions include Nick Lowe, The Fixx, Difford and Tilbrook among many others.
After a short stint with London based EMI recording band The Neighborhood, Geoff moved to New York, where he brought his signature sound to the Celtic rock band Black 47, helping them to enjoy the 25 years of popularity that led them to be referred to as New York’s House Band.
In 2011, Geoff released Lost in Space by GI Blythe. This 11 track album was recorded in New York, and featured band members drawn from various previous projects, both in the USA and UK.
In 2014, Geoff collaborated on The Team that Dreams in Caffs. A book of photos and memoirs about the original Dexys Midnight Runners, culminating in the release of the Soul Rebels Album. This book was requested by the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame for its archives.
In 2016, GI Blythe released The Ghosts of Bleecker Street, a 3 track digital single ep.
Other credits include music for TV and film, Off Broadway and classical compositions, and appearances in 2 major motion pictures.
Geoffrey Blythe Discography
Aka, Jeff Blythe, JB, GI Blythe
- Dexy’s Midnight Runners, Searching For The Young Soul Rebels EMI 1980, 20012010, catalog number. 72435256000-4
- The Bureau, The Bureau WEA 1981, 2005 catalog number 5046771972
- The Pretenders, Pretenders II Sire 1981, Rhino 2001 catalog number 12274177
- Elvis Costello, Punch The Clock F-Beat(UK), Columbia(US)1983, Rykodisc 1995, Rhino 2003, Hip-0 2007 catalog number(Rhino)RC73910
- Nick Lowe, Nick Lowe and His Cowboy Outfit, Radar(UK) Columbia(US) 1984, Demon Records 2000
- Thomas Leer, No.1 (single), 1985 Arista
- Dlfford and Tillbrook, Difford and Tillbrook, Hip-0 Select 1984 catalog number 000809402
- The Fixx, Walkabout, MCA 1986 catalog number 5705
- That Petrol Emotion, Cellophane, Virgin 1988
- The Neighbourhood, The Neighbourhood, EMI 1988
- Shellyann Orphan, Century Flower , CBS 1989 catalog number CK45198
- Tijuana Bible, Gringo Madness, Big Beat 1993, catalog number CDWIK117
- Black 47, Black 47 , BLK Records 1991, catalog number 00093
- Black 47, Black 47 (EP), EMI/SBK 1992, catalog number 0777 78097129
- Black 47, Fire of Freedom, EMI/SBK 1993 catalog number 0777 78068624
- Black 47, Home of the Brave, EMI/SBK 1994 catalog number 724383073726
- Black 47, Green Suede Shoes, Mercury 1996
- Black 47, Live in NYC, Gadfly 1999, catalog number 248
- Black 47, Trouble in the Land, Shanachie 2000, catalog number 5741
- Seanchai and the Unity Squad, A Sunday at the Turn of the Century, Unity Records 2000, cat. 879398
- Larry Kirwan, Kilroy Was Here, Gadfly 2001, catalog number 273
- Black 47, On Fire, Gadfly 2001, catalog number 280
- Black 47, New York Town, Gadfly 2004, catalog number 286
- Black 47, Elvis Murphy Green Suede Shoes, Gadfly 2005, catalog number 289
- Black 47, Bittersweet 16, Gadfly 2006, cat number 292
- Black 47, Iraq, United For Opportunity(UFO) 2008 catalog number 1013
- Black 47, Bankers and Gangsters, UFO 2010, catalog number 1022
- GI Blythe, Lost in Space, Saxofficer Productions 2012, catalog number SP001
- Black 47, Last Call
- GI Blythe, The Ghosts Of Bleeker Street, Saxofficer Productions 2012, catalog number SP002
- Edward Rogers, Glass Marbles, ZIP Records 2016
- Edward Rogers, TV Generation, ZIP Records 2017
- Samsonite Gypsies, Samsonite Gypsies Music 2018
- A Partly Satirical Broadcast, BBC 1982
- Into The West, 1992, director Mike Newhall
- Kisses on a Train(complete soundtrack), 1993, director Dinaz Stafford, winner of Paris Film festival Short Film
- The Saint of Fort Washington, 1993, director Tim Hunter
- Looking For An Echo, 2000, director Martin Davidson
Movie On Screen Performance
- The Saint of Fort Washington
- Looking For An Echo